Sunday, August 27, 2006

wild art / bugs?

Out in Elkins, Arkansas there's a lot of wildlife. I've seen speckled (or spotted) owls, whitetailed deer, and more snakes that I care for. I spend half my time trying to get rid of most insects since they are either trying to chew away my house or get inside it so they can fly into my lips. "Patooie! Gross!" is heard once every night.

But yesterday, as I was driving to the grocery store, I noticed an odd shape on the emblem of my car. I drive a 1980 Pontiac Bonneville, aptly nicknamed "Yui" (think: U-Turns) because of it's graceful handling. When I arrived to the store, the bug was still clinging firmly onto my car, and I realized it was a praying mantis. The joyride had frazzled it so much that it was swiping at the air with its little retractable arms. So what did I do? Got my camera, of course, and practice a form of macro photography that Y taught me when I used to help him with weddings.

The thing about a Praying Mantis is that it can remain very still and chameleon itself with its environment--a perfect test bug. This was my best shot before the thing swiped at my lens and bolted--leaving me to shriek like a girl, coddling my abused lens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home