Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Something from last year.

So, last November I had a neat photo story going on up in Rogers about Fringe Skate Shop. I can't remember whether I submitted it to TMN or not, but I don't think anything actually came of it. As a matter of fact, I still have all the captions that I wrote for these photos somewhere, so I might come back and place the proper captions at a later date. The funny thing is right after doing this story, the Times came out with their own 'skate' story about some kids in Fayetteville. Needless to say, I felt like the little house I built with this project had just come tumbling down.

Anywho, I haven't seen anyone else post a skater photo-- much less a skater story... so here's mine-- a redux from '06. I'll do my best to remember everything as accurately as possible.

A stands with his board in front of Fringe Skate Park. According to the local skaters, the community raised the money for almost $50 grand in cement so that kids would have a place to skate. Most of the kids acknowledge that the park is just keeping them away from car-filled streets, but feel it was a fair compromise.


That day was actually a big one for Rogers skaters. It was a competition with no entry fee, sponsered entirely by Fringe. The levels ranged from junior to semi-pro (self proclaimed, of course). Organizers mixed the competition rounds so that immediately following a junior's bout, some semi-pro riders or skaters would attempt tricks for entertainment while scores were tallied.
Having little or no grip on a trick-bike's tire is key to ensure that friction does not overwhelm gravity on the steep slopes of a half-pipe or ramp. Too much grip can cause the bike to topple forward when a rider is descending from a jump.



Normal wear and tear, I'm told.
It's an unsaid rule that if you think you're going to collide, you holler "heads up," although by then it's usually too late for these fast-paced riders. Rather than yelling it to avoid accidents, riders have just enough time to brace themselves-- just enough to make a crash less severe.
"Semi-Pro's"






Standing extreme right of the crowd, in the blue helmet, "Crazy John" is rushed by fans after a catastrophic wipeout from a backflip attempt. He was uninjured.


The End.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

should have been in the paper.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home